I used to LOVE watching NFL football. I also enjoy college football, but the speed and precision of the pro game were leaps and bounds more entertaining for me.
The past year has exposed a lot of issues with the NFL. I know that for at least myself, it’s gotten pretty frustrating to watch and follow the league, and I’ve started to giving up on them.
I’ve probably put more thought into this than I should, but I’d like to go through my list of suggestions on how I would fix the league. Some of these will likely end up with blog posts of their own, but I wanted to summarize my overall thoughts.
If I were supreme leader of the National Football League, these are the initiatives I would institute immediately (in no particular order):
- Full time officials
- Permanent cameras trained on each end of the goal lines and all out of bounds lines
- Lights on the line-of-scrimmage sticks that go off when the play clock or game clock goes to zero
- A replay system where every play is watched by the replay official, just as in college. The referee on the field would never go “under the hood”.
- Replay review of penalties, particularly pass interference.
- Stop the clock on first downs, at least in the final 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.
- Better control of the clock by the officials on the field, similar to what is used in the NBA and major conferences in NCAA basketball.
- Fire Roger Goodell
- Create more consistent rules governing player discipline for off the field actions.
I’ll elaborate on these points later with follow up posts going into more detail.
What do you think the NFL can do to improve the game? Leave your suggestions in the comments!